Are we more Linked in to our Facebook?

“…both Facebook and LinkedIn excel in different scenarios. It all depends on what you need to do.” (Krasnoff, 2008, para. 9) While Linked In has been around a year longer than Facebook, the hype and the popularity when comparing the two sites is dependent on who you ask and what they like to do. While the initial concept of these sites began as similar, I believe that Linked In’s focus started with and remains with the target audience of the working professional, while Facebook has adjusted and changed and now targets the younger more carefree generation. Both sites allow you to connect with friends, family and coworkers and share information. However, the fundamental difference in my opinion is the glitz, the glamour, and the fun of Facebook. Both sites allow for status updates and comments but Facebook has games, surveys, and allows you to create photo albums to share with your connections.


I have an account for both sites but I have to admit that I do not regularly visit Linked In. In fact, there have been many times that I had to reset my password because I couldn’t remember it from the last time I logged in. Additionally, the only time I ever sign in is to accept a network invite. On the other hand, I am a total Facebook addict; I even have the quick view application installed on my smart phone!


I tried to analyze why I spent so much more time on one social networking site compared to the other, and I came to the conclusion that it’s the same as Barbara Krasnoff’s interpretation, it really depends on who you are and what you want to do. For me personally, Facebook is the more attractive choice because it tends to be more interpersonal and hyperpersonal whereas Linked In, at least my connections, are impersonal. I spent more time on Linked In while doing research for this blog and the one thing that stood out to me the most was that only about 5% of my contacts had posted a picture of themselves. It’s also important to mention that these same connections are also my Facebook friends and they all have posted multiple albums on that site. Linked In is a fabulous concept when looking for a new job, but if it wants to survive long term with the multiple and ever expanding other social networking sites, it needs to be more Linked In to the popular trends and learn to stay ahead of the curve.

No comments: