LinkedIn, a Useful Tool for Connecting Business Professionals

Since I’m new to the business world, I haven’t used LinkedIn myself however, my wife has for years so I ‘interviewed’ her. It seems that the standard protocol is to use Facebook for personal and LinkedIn for business contacts and never, ever let the two intertwine!


LinkedIn satisfies two key purposes: it allows you to keep in contact with former colleagues, see their progress in their careers. It also allows helps in the job hunt realm. Recruiters can find you there and if for example you’re interested in a company you can look that company up in LinkedIn and see if you have anyone in your network connected with anyone at that company and get ‘introduced’ virtually. These are forms of interpersonal communications. My wife is currently working at a job that she was recruited through LinkedIn for. That being said, she wouldn’t want any of the people on that site to see her Facebook pictures from her 40th birthday party.


The below link brings you to a graphical explanation that supports the above definition.


http://www.linkedin.com/static?key=what_is_linkedin&trk=hb_what

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think the most important part of LinkedIn is the network aspect. It seems to me that success in the business world is much easier when you can call on a variety of people for assistance.

Shannon said...

I too have never used this site, but find the idea intriguing. Working in a highly social and communication based arena makes it vital to create those professional ties. Is there a specific medium or field this site caters too? Are there subcategories or focuses you can join to have a kind of more focused version of a job hunting site?