Can we have some manners please?

“But when we communicate online, whether it's on Facebook or through email, or when we tweet or text, what's missing? What specific elements do we miss out on when we trade face-to-face communication for connecting through our computer or blackberry? It may seem obvious to some, but I think we tend to forget about the importance of HYPERLINK "http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/body-language" \o "Psychology Today looks at Body Language" body language , voice inflection, and the simple act of looking someone in the eye during a conversation. Granted, technologies such as Skype can provide us with the screen image of the person to whom we're talking. But is eye contact as palpable on a screen as it is in person? And how ‘undivided' is our attention when we're reading someone's email message, as opposed to when we're sitting across a table from them? Can a text message convey the nuance of a facial expression?” (Nogales)
I have several social sites that I use. I use facebook for my personal and linkedin for my business. I find that my facebook is almost hyper personal because I find that I over give information about my life. I used it talk with friends, family and make new ones. I have also dated a few people off of the site but I do find at time it has become intrapersonal because I will correspond with people that I somewhat know but not on a personal level of others on the site. On linked in however it actually feels impersonal and I actually find I don't use it unless I am looking for an employee and/or resources for my work and it may turn to interpersonal if I use email to go back and forth with them. I think it varies depending on what you use it for and how much you feel like sharing, I have a habit of over sharing and sometimes think it works against me but it can be a good way to communicate with persons you may not be able to talk to as much as you like.


Nogales, Ana Dr. (October 2010) Face Book Vs Face to Face Psychology Today Blogs retrieved from "http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/family-secrets/201010/facebook-versus-face-face" http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/family-secrets/201010/facebook-versus-face-face

4 comments:

pdburk said...

We need to be careful on how much information we put up on line. There are to many people who will take advantage of you.

Linda Jackson said...

Although the internet is a great way of communicating an dreconnecting with lost ones it can also hurt communication. People need to interact with others and communicating through the internet can often be misleading.

Chris said...

The lack of 'face-time' is a definite limitation to online communication. As technology continues to advance and people increasingly use these disconnected forms of communication, I fear that people may lose the ability to communicate in person. That may seem a little extreme, but ave you ever attended a meeting where one of the particpants is checking their Facebook account on their Blackberry while someone else is addressing the group?

Karen said...

Sara,

I think communicating over Facebook is a great communication tool, however, it should not take the place of face-to-face interactions. I would still prefer to get a phone call from a friend to hear their voice or meet them for coffee to have a conversation.

I, like Chris, have been in meetings where people seem to be more interested with what's on their Blackberry than what's happening in the meeting. Some managers are beginning to consider this as unprofessional. My organization is about to issue some formal policy on the use of social networking during work hours to come out soon. I'm waiting to see what it includes.