World Wide Privacy


“Privacy is a complex concept that encompasses freedom of thought, control over one’s body, solitude in one’s home, freedom from surveillance, protection of one’s reputation, protection from searches and interrogation, and control over information about oneself (Solove, 2002).” (Kachhi, D. & Link, M. W. 2009)

Maybe it is still a good idea to take care of personal business in person. But the individuals that we interact with more than likely have internet access. Can anyone be trusted anymore? Maybe I am paranoid.

The only information that is truly ‘private’ is information that you have not shared with others. As more and more people world wide are gaining access to the internet, we are becoming a more exposed population. Filling out a simple job application can give so much information about a person. When applying for a job online, information is being submitting to a stranger. Most people use to trust that little padlock symbol near the bottom-right corner of a web page. But how secure is any given web site? According to research done at The Nielsen Company by Kachhi, D and Link, M, 22.9 % of 2,664 people surveyed were not very worried about internet privacy. The largest percent of people that were very worried are adults age 50 and older. My mother is over fifty and I trust her because she does not use the internet unless she is with me. And after my research I gather that I am not paranoid after all; I am just getting old.

References:
Kachhi, D., & Link, M. W. (2009). Too Much Information: Does the Internet Dig Too Deep?. Journal of Advertising Research, 00218499, Vol. 49, Issue 1.

1 comment:

Ronica said...

I agree with the fact that many people do not understand that what they share on the internet is private. My Mom for instance, I showed her how to use online banking (she did it the old way with the phone and statements) and she tried to make a password that was the same as her user name. I then found out her password to her email was the same as her user name. I had to explain internet security to her, and now she is afraid of the internet. So, I too don't let her use it unless I am around or one of my brothers is over to help her log on and off safely. I travel about 2 weeks a month so I have to trust my internet and my computers internet to get things I need done such as personal bills, school work and then my work activities. I try to ensure that I only use secured internet, which is hard when most hotels do not have it, so thankfully I have VPN.