Internet Addiction and the Online Classroom

An interesting article from NY Online Education Examiner that talks about how some people that use the internet are struggling with a craving of the stimulation they get from electronic gadgets after they have logged off. They also talk about how this is impacting the focus on the family. In a New York Times published on June 6th 2010, it mentions the following: “Scientists say juggling e-mail, phone calls and other incoming information can change how people think and behave. They say our ability to focus is being undermined by bursts of information. These play to a primitive impulse to respond to immediate opportunities and threats. The stimulation provokes excitement — a dopamine squirt — that researchers say can be addictive. In its absence, people feel bored. While many people say multitasking makes them more productive, research shows otherwise. Heavy multitaskers actually have more trouble focusing and shutting out irrelevant information, scientists say, and they experience more stress.”

I know in my line of work if I don’t have both monitors running, my instant message moving with at least five conversations, my wireless headset on mute and an IPod earplug listening to music in the other ear, then I do not feel efficient. Now I need to rethink what efficient really is.Or isn’t.

Sax, Boria. June 7, 2010 http://www.examiner.com/x-45810-NY-Online-Education-Examiner~y2010m6d7-Internet-Addiction-and-the-Online-Classroom

Ritchel, Matt. June 6, 2010 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?scp=1&sq=hooked%20on%20gadgets&st=cse

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole- Wow- we all knew there were addicts and tech junkies, but the research shows the problem is more serious. So, do you think people get withdrawal symptoms when disconnecting?
-Thanks for the post-
Prof J

WizardGirl said...

I am on of those crazy multitaskers and totaly agree with the sense of boredom when not doing ten things at once and also the stress level. I am slowly trying decrease the steams of information coming at my at any given time to alleviate some of my stress. I have given up instant messaging because I found that it interrupted my workflow and caused me to be less effective. When I really need to buckle down and get something done, I lock myself in a quiet room and turn off all phones and shut down my email. I wish I could do this everyday but alas, I need to be connected to my workteam.