Not as Good?

Some say that online classes and degree programs are not as good as traditional classes. Arleen Bejerano writes, “A Second Argument against online education is that students enrolled in online courses need to be self-disciplined in order to succeed (Bejerano, 2008).” If you read the argument carefully, it is, in effect, saying that requiring self discipline is a bad thing. These are the type of weak arguments be made against online education. They take the attributes of online classes that make them better, and turn them into bad things. With experience in both, I can say that online education is, in many ways, superior to a traditional classroom.

Arleen Bejerano argues that Social Integration with the campus helps the student. In 2001, I attended classes at a local community college. I went, sat in the class, heard the lecture, and read the book while the professor was talking. When class was over, I didn’t want to go home, and write a paper about what I had already spent the day hearing about. Instead I went to the student center, and played a few games of pool. Then when I got home, it was not time to get to work on my paper, but it was time hang out with my friends. After all, class was over. In an online class, that has no ‘class time’, all time is class time. My mind stays engaged on the subject, even when I work or play. This dynamic does far more for me than having access to campus life did, back when I was playing pool. At best, the “Social Integration”, that Bejerano writes so highly about, only served me as a distraction, which degraded my attention to the subject. The Social Integration of campus life is not required to learn the subject, but studying is required to learn the subject. When Social integration cuts on study time, then it is not a good thing to have.

The second argument that Bejerano brings, quoted above, is the weakest argument of all. It is true that online classes require self discipline of the students (Bejerano, 2008). However, this difficulty is a good thing, not a bad thing. It has brought the best out of me, in terms of my personal scheduling ability, and activity evaluation. You don’t find me at the pool hall any more, when a paper needs to be written. You find me at the computer researching, thinking, and typing. Placing the times and learning outcomes in the hands of the learner teaches self discipline. If the student fails, then the student should have spent more time on the subject. If students refuse to acknowledge this, then they should not have the degrees they are seeking. This is true of any classroom type, either online, or traditional class, and the reason we have grades. Classes should not be easy, but they should weed out the students who truly do not have the self discipline and mental facilities to qualify them for the degree.

The only valid argument against online learning for the student is due to a misconception about online learning. It is the fifth argument supplied by Bejerano, that online degrees “are not as marketable as traditional degrees (Bejerano, 2008).” The misconception is that an online degree is easier to obtain than a traditional degree. This thought is hinted at in Bejerano’s article in some places, as she contradicts herself with her first and second arguments, which pose the online degree as more difficult. In terms of subject matter mastery, an online degree is more difficult to obtain.

The misconception that an online degree is easier baffles me, because the same people, like Bejerano, also argue that too much self discipline is needed, and drop out rate is higher, calling this type of difficulty a bad thing. If fewer people can do it, then how is it easier? Also, if it screens for higher qualities, like self discipline, then why is that bad? Perhaps they argue against it both ways, because they don’t have the self discipline required to get a degree this way, and they are intimidated by those who can. The result is a lash-out against the idea, saying that it is too easy to be a real degree. As long as the intimidated can keep the idea that it is less of a degree, they can feel safe in their jobs. How far can a self starting, self thinking, self disciplined employee shoot above another employee who needs the boss to tell them to get to work, due to lack of self discipline?

I often wonder if the people who argue against online learning have ever tried it. The online learning environment is challenging and stimulating. In online classes, I am pressed to use my own brain to study, research, and produce independent works in a way that a traditional class cannot match. I don’t have somebody telling me the subject; I have to read it, research it, and think about it. I have to budget my time, and communicate on purpose to get it done. Attending school has become about learning to think, instead of learning how to hear a lecture and sit in a chair. Developing self discipline, instead of requiring external discipline, is a positive side effect.

Reference:

Bejerano, A. (2008). The Genesis and Evolution of Online Degree Programs: Who Are They For and What Have We Lost Along The Way?. Communication Education, 57(3), 408-414. doi:10.1080/03634520801993697.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh. Your blog is in line with the dilemma that I faced when deciding to return to College.Some factors that I had to consider were the obligations to my employer and my family. When I researched both online and traditional classes the online format fit right into my schedule and as far motivation factoring into the formula well, I figure without motivation there was no sense of coming back to College. Andrew

Anonymous said...

Josh, while I agree with your statements about online learning being a great option for individuals, and that most who complain are advocates for classroom style education, I do question how much more of the classroom experience could improve the online learning experience. As an online learner for many years, there is one aspect I do miss about the classroom experience, and that is the ability to deepen my understanding or knowledge of a subject, and this comes from hearing of others' experiences and their subject understanding. It would be a good idea to incorporate a chat room during certain times to give that depth of learning to online students. Good article.