The Wonderful World Of Email

“You might think you know what you've said, but have you?”

Evans, Clare. (2008, September) Communicating Online And The World Of Email. Articles Base. Retrieved October 15, 2008, from http://www.articlesbase.com/communication-articles/communicating-online-and-the-world-of-email-575117.html

This quote came from an article discussing a topic we covered earlier in class – email etiquette. I liked this article because it talked about how emails can easily be misinterpreted. It’s very important in emails to just get to the point and say what you have to say. Many times, people try to be funny or speak around a subject rather than just say what they want to say. This could cause trouble because you never know how your recipient is taking the message. I don’t know how many emails I’ve received where I’m confused about what the person is trying to say and when I finally figure it out, I think why didn’t you just say that? I really enjoyed reading this article and I found that there were many good tips about email etiquette in this article, but I think we covered all of them in our forum when we discussed this topic.

3 comments:

Tiffany762 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany762 said...

Great article! I have some of my own email etiquette that I continue to work on daily. Such as not being so wordy (as the article notes short communication is best). I would never use capitals (in work email correspondence) as I know that is seen as “shouting”. Though I have to admit on occasion I have used emotions if I am familiar with the person, this is something I noticed the younger age group seems to do more often. :) One thing I learned a long time ago in a seminar I took was that it might be a good idea to compose emails without adding a “send to” until you have finished composing your email. I realize that this takes more time, but it has saved me on more than one occasion. I also almost always check important emails in Word before sending, just in case. I have saved this article so I can reference the tips later on, I really enjoyed it.

I have a question that for whatever reason just came to my attention recently.- Should there ever be a reason to indent in an email like we do in hard copy mail correspondence? Just wondering…This has been a great course so far, looking forward to my continued learning experience.

Thank you,
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

This article is a good reminder that sending messages through an e-mail still comes with its own set of Cyberspace rules. Although an electronic mail became a huge part of our lives and its boundaries blurred into the more traditional forms of communication it is designed for a “for simple, short communication” (articlesbase.com). In my opinion, however, there is a difference between e-mail correspondence in business environment (here I completely agree with e-mail etiquette rules mentioned) and the one we send to our friends. We just have to be careful not to mix them up.

Michael

References:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/02/70179
http://www.articlesbase.com/communication-articles/communicating-online-and-the-world-of-email-575117.html