Some Patients are Finding More Help in Cyberspace Than in Their Own Doctors Offices

Ferguson. (1997).Health care in cyberspace: patients lead a revolution. The Futurist [Electronic version].31.n6 (Nov-Dec 1997):29(5). Retrieved on October 12, 2008 from Academic OneFile. Gale.BCR Regis University.Patients are leading a revolution in cyberspace. They are using the internet to research health conditions, participate in on-line support groups for various health problems and find resources for their diagnosis that may not be available from a primary care provider. Cyberspace self help communities can be utilized by anyone with access to the internet. Many of these self help sites have volunteer health professionals who are experts on the topics being discussed. Patients can ask questions about conditions and receive an answer from a trained medical professional. While visitors to the sites are encouraged to play an active role in their own care, self diagnosis is not encouraged. Health care providers do not always have time to spend with their patients leaving unanswered questions and anxiety about their health and well being; cyberspace self help sites are filling this void. Self helpers aren’t always seeking treatment options but answers to their questions from knowledgeable people, share concerns with others who understand how they feel, and glean insight from others in the self help environment.
jb

3 comments:

trumj012 said...

I think the internet is helping some patients fill a void. Healthcare providers do not always speak at a level that most people can understand. Doing research on the internet can help a patient understand their diagnosis or testing procedures better. The flip side is patients reading about certain diseases and getting scared that they are going to die.

Anonymous said...

I think that Internet self-help groups are a good idea. It is an unfortunate reality that doctors do not always have the time necessary to devote to their patients, but the Internet has provided an outlet for those to get the extra support they need. For example, I know someone who has lymphodema, a disease that causes the swelling of the legs to a point where it becomes difficult to walk and the patient becomes morbidly obese, and she says that if it weren't for the friends and doctors she met online, she would not be able to make it through the day. It lifted her out of a state of depression. Anything that causes a person's outlook to change that much is a good thing.

MelissaJ said...

Interesting article. I've noticed the last couple of times when I went visited my drs.office how some of my questions I directed to him was not answered to my statisfaction. However, I did not want to take up too much of his time because of other patients. When I informed my sister what was happening, she suggested webmd. I was able to find the answers I was looking for and then some. Now when I go to the drs. office I just bring my research findings with me to confirm that I have a clear understanding.