Is online learning as effective as the classroom?


Is online learning as effective as the classroom?

At the center of the debate regarding distance learning is the efficacy of online learning in comparison to in-class learning.  While this debate goes on, educators are working hard to develop new systems that hurdle the challenges of online learning in an attempt to evolve the experience, participation and efficacy.  While educators are working hard to create an effective online learning environment, student enrollment in online programs is on the rise.  The debate on the efficacy of online course may remain a hot topic amongst educational institutions but the real variable in the online education market is the student.  Online education may not be a fit for all students but those who choose to enroll in online courses must be motivated and disciplined to engage.  According to Allison Rossett, author and professor of educational technology at San Diego State University, “While flopping into a seat every Thursday night for two hours doesn’t take much commitment, online participants must allow the content, instructor, peers, and requirements to permeate their lives” (Rossett, 2005, p.15).  Online programs that have been successful largely depend on the instructors, online design and cost. I would argue that the most important reason is the students and their ability to make it work.

Are students are the determining factor?

The answer to this will largely depend on the continuous improvements and evolving advancements in the online educational market, but more importantly will be determined by the student base comfortable with technology.  In an article by Nathan Bos and N. Sadat Shami, they discuss the challenges of designing online courses.  “One of the first and foremost challenges for online learning environments is keeping the energy and focus of the class from dissipating over time. When face-to-face, skilled instructors have many techniques for capturing and holding attention and directing engagement” (Bos, Shami, 2006, p.495).  Online educational systems have come a long way with technology in a short time.  I have nearly completed my degree with all online courses, and I must admit that I struggled in the beginning.  However, I very quickly acclimated and have the motivation to engage and make the learning process effective.  Having spent time in the classroom and online, I cannot fully understand how educational institutions can debate efficacy.  My experience indicates that I have to work harder online and I certainly feel that my online educational experience is every bit as effective as the learning I have experienced in the classroom. 

Where is online education going?

Online education is on the rise!  Adult learners have embraced distance learning as a way to earn their college degrees while working and meeting their family obligations.  Younger students still tend to take the traditional in class route but are now starting to mix in online courses.  Advancements in the online programs and in technology will certainly help increase enrollment.  The idea that the efficacy of an online education is less than that of a traditional education seems to be “old school” thinking and needs to change with the times just as everything else must change.  Embrace the online experience, it is only going to continue to grow and become more prominent in the landscape of higher education!

References

Bonk, Curtis. (2006). The Future of Online Teaching and Learning in Higher Education: The Survey Says...Educause Review Online.  Retrieved in November 20, 2013 from: http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/future-online-teaching-and-learning-higher-education-survey-says%E2%80%A6

Taylor, P. and Maor, D. (2000). Assessing the efficacy of online teaching with the Constructivist online learning environment survey. In: 9th Annual Teaching Learning Forum, 2-4 February 2000, Perth, W.A..  Retrieved November 21, 2013 from: http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/8750/

Rossett, Allison. (2005). Moving Online. ERIC Institute of Education Sciences.  Vol. 59 Issue 2, p14-15. 2p

Bos, Nathan, Shami, N. Sadat. (2006). Adapting a Face-to-Face Role- Playing Simulation for Online Play. Educational Technology Research and Development, v54 n5 p493-521 Oct 2006. 29 pp.
 
JVigil
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Spencer W. said...

I enjoyed reading this article and I agree that education seems to be getting more and more integrated with technology and as a result incorporating online formats. Having taken classes both in the traditional classroom setting and online, I have come to actually prefer the online setting. While the traditional classroom setting has an advantage in that it allows face to face interaction and immediate feedback, the online environment and specifically Regis University’s online system is very well developed allows for ease of access and presents a vast number of learning resources. Moreover, being able to “attend” class at any point during the day (or night depending upon circumstances) by logging in and reviewing the discussion forum and assignments rather than physically drive to a school and attend a class during a specified time is a remarkable benefit with the online format. While completing courses online does require a significant amount of discipline and time management (which I am working on), in my opinion, the benefits and positives far outweigh any possible downsides or negatives.

Z Hunter said...

Regarding online learning I immensely agree that you have to be a dedicated and disciplined person to go through an 8-week class. There are various distractions that come while doing an online course that make it truly hard to complete. The majority of the time I find my attention pulled by my television or from surfing the sites when I should be completing assignments.

Do I think online courses are more effective? For me personally no, because I tend to toss the information quickly once the course is over if I didn’t find it engaging. I also love traditional classes because I love the face-to-face interaction. I love having easy access to the teacher, and being able to raise my hand when I have a question versus the back and forth emails I may send in my online class day to day. I additionally love to hear my peers voices and affliction because I feel a great deal of words are taken out of context through discussion posts & emails.

All in all, I’m thankful for the online courses because they push me to focus and they fit in well with my busy schedule.