Facebook Privacy and Trust



"Research shows the majority of Facebook users do not read the privacy policy" (O' Brien, D., & Torres, A. M. (2012).


One of the great things about being an adult learner is that it offers one a chance to research and learn new things. In my case, I chose to research privacy with Facebook; as, I am a member and have enjoyed reconnecting with family and friends. However, it is also a social networking website that bears privacy concerns. My interest with this article is related to Facebook’s privacy settings and how we, as users perceive this. My belief is that most users only scratch the surface in regards to user account settings for privacy with Facebook.

In a survey I conducted with ten friends, I asked each person how many times they reviewed their privacy settings on Facebook. Only three of ten people updated or changed their settings after they opened their accounts. Privacy on Facebook can be complex, confusing, as well as difficult to comprehend. For example, after clicking on a picture or video that was posted (on my Facebook wall) by a family member or friend, I was redirected to a third party application stating that if I click the “Okay, Watch Video Button”, and I agree to their terms of service, as well as their privacy policy then I can view videos from Socialcam. I have also found when friends or family members view a video from Socialcam it appears on my Facebook wall and states (for example) “John Doe has viewed this video”. Consequently, with every click, everyone connected as a friend in the system can see what you are viewing! I have yet to find within Facebook where you can change or add settings preferences for third party applications. Socialcam has an area on the bottom of their pop up where you can change settings; however, I do not want their application, so, if I feel the need to really view the video, I can go to YouTube. This may, or may not be how Facebook prefers it. I would like to believe Facebook intends well; but, how do you protect yourself?

My perception regarding Facebook users privacy


Social networking privacy concerns have been highlighted in the media and in discussions recently. It is my belief that privacy concerns should be a priority for every person who accesses the internet. Every click, every stroke of a keyboard, everything you do online is public information. Big Brother has never been more present and it appears to be getting more widespread every day. Have you reviewed Facebook’s Data Use Policy regarding privacy? Have you ever changed your Privacy Settings? My first complete review of this policy was today. In the past, I have reviewed my privacy account settings many times and made sure they were in line with what I desire. My fourteen year old daughter, a heavy Facebook user, has never reviewed the privacy policy. I would encourage all users to review this policy to understand the implications involved when clicking, typing, and posting of digital pictures and videos, commenting, liking, notifying, sending messages, and now “Star your close friends to see more of the important moments in their lives. (Friends won't know you've starred them)”.

Are you aware of the data Facebook collects every time you interact with Facebook? A study published by O’Brien and Torres, Social Networking and Online Privacy: Facebook Users’ Perceptions, found that the majority of Facebook users have not read the privacy policy, which is consistent with previous studies (Govani and Pashley, 2005; Jones and Soltren, 2005). My belief is that Facebook users set aside the privacy policies and go directly to the fun; however, many (including myself) have felt the unfavorable consequences due to this behavior. Below, I have listed some information obtained from Facebook’s Data Use Policy - Information page regarding how they receive data while people are active on their site. I was enlightened as to the information Facebook receives as well as information that is apparently going to others outside of Facebook per Facebook’s policies.

We receive data about you whenever you interact with Facebook, such as when you look at another person's profile, send someone a message, search for a friend or a Page, click on an ad, or purchase Facebook Credits.

When you post things like photos or videos on Facebook, we may receive additional related data (or metadata), such as the time, date, and place you took the photo or video.

We receive data from the computer, mobile phone or other device you use to access Facebook. This may include your IP address, location, the type of browser you use, or the pages you visit. For example, we may get your GPS location so we can tell you if any of your friends are nearby.

We receive data whenever you visit a game, application, or website that uses Facebook Platform or visit a site with a Facebook feature (such as a social plugin). This may include the date and time you visit the site; the web address, or URL, you're on; technical information about the IP address, browser and the operating system you use; and, if you are logged in to Facebook, your User ID.

Sometimes we get data from our advertising partners, customers and other third parties that helps us (or them) deliver ads, understand online activity, and generally make Facebook better. For example, an advertiser may tell us how you responded to an ad on Facebook or on another site in order to measure the effectiveness of - and improve the quality of - those ads (Facebook, 2012).

My perception regarding Facebook user’s trust

Trust for me is one of the most important issues regarding cyberspace as a whole. Facebook pushed this to the extreme as seen before in the Privacy section, Data Use Policy, and Information we receive and how it is used section (listed above). For me, it is unsettling with every click I am sending a notice to Facebook, advertising partners, customers, and third parties while they collect data on where I am, where I have been, where I am going, and everything I am interested in. This non-tangible action violates my trust. “A small proportion of Facebook users (25.3 percent) trust Facebook” (O' Brien, D., & Torres, A. M. (2012). The study goes on to say that “older Facebook users (30+) are the least trusting group on Facebook”, and I agree as I fall within this category.

My final thoughts

While I have no plans in the future to terminate my account with Facebook I do have concerns that limit the activity I do on the site, and on the internet as a whole. My Facebook account is limited to three pictures, one of which is of my dog. I rarely post images, comments or likes. I never have posted a video. I do not click on videos from others when they pop up on my wall. I do not want to be redirected to Socialcam where they require my basic information and email address before I can view the video, whereby, I put myself in a position to receive thousands and thousands of junk email thereafter. In sum, I do very little, I fall within the older user group where trust is a concern, and privacy settings are what they are, if you want to be associated with Facebook. The more I learn about how little privacy I actually have when visiting sites like Facebook, the more I would urge all users to take the time to learn about the privacy policies before making one more click! "The level of activity documented in the study on Facebook, despite a high level of privacy concerns and risk awareness, shows privacy is not a prime obstacle to social networking sites because the majority of users are actively protecting themselves by changing their privacy settings" (O' Brien, D., & Torres, A. M. (2012).

You can go to Facebook’s Privacy Settings-Privacy-Data Use Policy-Information We Receive and How it is Used section and click “expand”. Here is the link:

Facebook Privacy

References

O' Brien, D., & Torres, A. M. (2012). Social Networking and Online Privacy: Facebook Users' Perceptions. Irish Journal Of Management, 31(2), 63-97.

Govani, T. and Pashley, H. (2005) ‘Student Awareness of the Privacy Implications when Using Facebook’, Carnegie Mellon, available from: , accessed 4 June 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You bring up some really interesting points. I will be more careful becuase I have read this. Thanks to the author.
Dave