The effects of Social Networking and Communication in Teen


I enjoy the freedom and the access to friends and family near and far, social media has given me. The world is constantly evolving and this outlet has allowed this enormous earth to become even smaller. The airline industry had its effects; the postal service had a good run as well. But the advances of social media devices have totally changed the game. I can recall the not so recent past when the cell phone was the latest and greatest communication device, well those days are gone. Then the pager or as the kids would say the beeper was a quick turnaround from hot to not and then totally obsolete. Now we have wireless communication in the form of Twitter and Facebook via the internet.
I have mixed opinions of the social juggernaut that strangling the traditions idea of friendships. I do not how ever have any problem saying that this is bad for kids. Not only do we have another outlet for evil intentions but we have opened up another Pandora box for children. Kids have too many ways to get them involved in the wrong situations but the new outlets have changed the game. I have read numerous articles of child predators having unlimited access to kids now and it has become harder to catch them due to the web. The social network allows for access the children in various states at multiple times. I do however support the idea of technology advancement and improvement of communication. But this is different the idea that I can have friends and the only interaction we have is in the virtual world is baffling to me. We have reached a new low as a society we can simply sit in front of a computer to get our laughs and discuss our troubles with the people we value in our lives. I have seen people have thousands of virtual friends, never see them yet put information in a status slot that that allows your personal information to be vied by an infinite number of people. This now creates another problem identity theft and yet more work for the already overwhelmed legal system. The point is the virtual world has opened the door to numerous malicious activities and evil people. I hate to be so cold and opinionated about something that so many enjoy on a daily basis but reality is most do not think about how the most innocent conversation on the web can come back to bite you in so many ways. The instant information at times is troubling, as soon as anything happen in the world there is no filtering or fact finding it simply hits the web, true or false we have been dumbed down to wait for the actual facts, we prefer opinion more.
Parents please pay attention to your kids, if you do not believe me watch a few episodes of Intervention on television, or watch To Catch A Predator with Chris Hanson on MSNBC or perhaps just pick up your local newspaper, the news is not good in these cases.
• Mikami, A. Y., Szwedo, D. E., Allen, J. P., Evans, M. A., & Hare, A.L. (2010) Adolescent Peer Relationships and Behavior Problems Predict Young Adults’ Communication on Social Networking Websites

6 comments:

Tazi Kat said...

A classmate of mine just did his capstone report on this very topic. I will forward him this blog! I want him to expand it as his Master's thesis!

Rome0620 said...

Great post! I could not agree with you more on this topic. The internet and the advances in technology are extremely beneficial, however, they hold many evils as well. I have a 3 year old and it terrifies me to think of what he will be subjected to when he gets older. Bullying has taken on a whole new level on the internet and on Facebook for young adults. Like you had mentioned, child predators are lurking out there for innocent young victims to take advantage of, and it has become harder to prevent this from happening. I agree that technology advancements are wonderful and if you can't beat em, join em, but there are certain things that definitely need stronger regulations and individuals to keep close eye on what's going on.

Jason L. said...

I agree with your concerns 100%. I have grown up during this technology boom and it is amazing how fast these technologies come and go. With the lack of physical interaction, the next big fad will be computer friends. Human being contact will be obsolute, a computer will respond/react to the users feelings. All anyone will need is their pc to converse with.
I can't imagine taking my laptop to a prom dance ;)
Thank you for your blog!

Anonymous said...

When my boys were young, Facebook and Twitter weren't around. As a parent at that time, your many concerns were who your children were hanging out with and where they were physically at different times of day. You could control some of their activity by making your home open to all their friends no matter what time of day. This way I could see who they were socially interacting with and have some control. Now I hear parents talking about their children's access to computers and ownership of cell phones at very young ages. Fortunately, most of the parents I know have rules regarding access to social media sites such as they can only be on-line when they are in the same room as their parents. Parental controls on devices are a big help too. The best tool a parent can use is face-to-face communication with their children of the dangers they can encounter. No matter what generation, parents should have and should be involved and really present in their children's lives. Every generation has or will have perils to navigate.

Unknown said...

Although, social networking can be positive, for teens I think that in many cases it is counterproductive, from teens being obsessed with Facebook to the younger generation losing the ability to communicate verbally eventually losing the ability to properly read body language, which is an important part of verbal communication. I find it very interesting how teens don’t even respond when spoken to, now although this obviously can’t be completely to blame on social networking, I wonder how much is.

Unknown said...

A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.
flirt with teens