Internet usage in Congo

Internet usage is not the same around the world. For instance in Congo, where the statistics showed that in 2010, only 0.6% of population or 696,520 people were able to use the internet. The country’s population is about 71,712,867. The population wants to be part of the technologies expansion in the world via the internet but they cannot afford it. Some people who can afford it make it a business. That way, everyone who uses the internet has 1hour for 2 or 3 dollars and the price is not fixed in local money. The internet usage in Congo is limited not only by lack of computers and service, but also electricity. The computer and the internet usage are rare and thus have become expensive. A computer with small memory space cost around 1000 to 1500 dollars. In United States, emailing someone is the fastest way to reach them while, In Congo It takes time. This is usually because the person receiving the message doesn’t have regular access to the internet. Their email box cannot be regularly checked. They may only be able to check their email once a month or every six months. Some people are only able to access the internet at their work place. The internet is still a luxury in Congo.

My sister in law sent me her family picture on July through my e-mail. She asked me for my picture too. A few days later, I sent her a picture of my family too. We kept in touch over the phone. Recently she asked me to send her some pictures of my kids. I had already sent some of them last July she did not check her email yet. I bought a laptop for my brother; I thought it would help us communicate regularly instead of buying phone cards that only allow 18 minutes. After sending to him many messages without answer, I called him to figure out why he is not responding. He told me that he hadn’t responded for a variety of reasons. Half the time, their electricity was off. He also mentioned that he couldn’t pay for internet service. I can imagine his laptop is sitting there like a decoration, never in use in the house.” Having a computer, internet service, and electricity at the same time is challenging”.

Thus, the development of the internet usage is not the same around the world. In some parts of the world internet usage is growing very fast and creating a new culture while in another part of the world, the internet increase is very slow. Will that growth be the same around the world one day? Yes there is hope for everyone who is still alive.
References
Articles: Democratic Republic of Congo telecommunications market over view report
www.internetworldstats.com

Clarisse Kizinga

1 comment:

Thomas W. said...

hi.
yes, it is tursth. And in south america we have internet but there are place where they dont have internet. I started to use the internet in 2005 . I am 29 years old. technology in US is the best. here is expensive and luxury!

sorry about my english :)