Addicted to Cyber Social Networks, I Was !!!

I've heard this over and over again; the first step on the road to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  Okay, so I didn't think anything was wrong with it, I wouldn't call it an addiction, that is such a strong word.  I mean so what, who isn't Linkedin to  Facebook thru Twitter and StumbleUpon and Friendster  or too, hey its Myspace to do what I want Digg it.  So what if I check it once and hour, who doesn't, status update please, I picture, a link, tweet,  tweet  ta leet. So what if I have more Facebook friends than real friends, and I spend more time on Twitter than in sunlight, don't we all spend more time working on LinkedIn profile than doing actual work, I not the only one!  Regardless of your excuse, this is not okay. Okay, Okay well maybe I do have a problem, but I am not alone.

Andrew Eisner, Retrevo's director of Community and Content, noted in a blog post that the recent survey of 1,000 Americans showed that many people appear to be obsessed with trading information with their friends, family and co-workers.

The Retrevo Gadgetology study shows that 48% of those polled say they update Facebook or Twitter during the night or as soon as they wake up. And 19% of people under the age of 25 say they update Facebook or Twitter anytime they happen to wake up during the night; 11% over the age of 25 say they do the same thing.
The study also noted that 42% check Facebook or Twitter first thing in the morning, with 28% of iPhone users saying they do it before they even get out of bed.

"Among social media users, it appears almost half are so involved with Facebook and Twitter that they check in the first thing in the morning," said Eisner in the report. "With 16% of social media users saying this is how they get their morning news, could we be witnessing the first signs of social media services beginning to replace Good Morning America as the source for what's going on in the world?"
In fact, 54% of those polled said they get their morning news fix by logging onto Facebook and Twitter.
People seem so into their personal tech that they don't mind being interrupted from dinner, during a trip to the bathroom or even during sex. The study found that 40% of respondents don't mind being interrupted by a text message; 32% said interrupting a meal for a message is OK, while 7% said they'd even check a message during an intimate moment. Eleven percent of those under the age of 25 would interrupt sex for a message, and 24% under 25 would answer a message in the bathroom.

My, next word was Rehab; I admitted I have a problem next the solution.  I realized  that these sites are in place for me  to use, not abuse.  They are tools, not a way of life.  And if  I was using the tool for anything other than it’s intended use, It was a waste time.  But their is hope for you too I beat this addiction, and use these tools the way they were intended.

1.  Prioritize - Use these tools only when your work has been done, or during down time
2. Remove the Cell phone Apps – You don’t really need Facebook or Twitter on your phone. Hard One!!
3. Monitor Your Time Online – The easiest way to make sure you aren’t wasting time in any one place is to monitor your time, time yourself.
4. Spend More Time With Close Friends and Family – Most important one.... Sometimes were so caught up we forget the ones we hurt the most..

It wasn't easy but it was worth it... Free your mind and the rest will follow.  


http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9172378/Social_networking_addicts_updating_from_bed_bathroom
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/social-networking/information/social-networking-sites-addictive.htm

Chris Fluellen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are positive and negative affects to social networking. One positive affect is that it can help people get in touch with one another. It allows people to keep each other up-to-date on events such as their child's school activities, sports, etc. It seems to let people communicate efficiently and effectively. On another note, social networking can be a bit intrusive at times. For example, employers, parents, family, and friends, alike would prefer nothing more than to have full attention of the person they are talking too or paying a salary to then having them look at an electronic device all day.

Anonymous said...

Addiction, everyone is addicted to something to some extent. What I mean to say is we all have our vices and addictions to things that occupies our spare time and helps keep us moving forward. But when addiction starts to occupy more and more of your free time and invaded into your work time it becomes a fatal addiction. The fatality of this addiction is when it comes between family members, friends, co-workers and jobs. I will agree the first step in fighting an addiction is to first admit that you have a problem. Unlike the author I do not have an addiction with cyber social networks per sea; I have an addiction to online information and podcast. I spend much of my waking time reading news articles, product reviews, and online forums. While watching TV with my family you can usually find me surfing the web with my iPod or cell phone. This addiction started many years ago by reading magazines or reading books while setting with the family. My podcast addiction takes place while working or driving down the road I am listening to podcast on my iPod. At work I listen to many different podcast and hate it when someone comes in with a question or I have to attend a meeting. I have to listen to podcast when driving down the road in the car or while on my motorcycle. The only time I don’t listen to podcast, internet or read is when I’m walking; this is the time that I use for clearing my mind. Yes I have a cyberspace addiction but I also have an addiction to learning. The more I learn the more I am driven to learn more. I