A Little Humility Makes All the Difference


Ever wanted to know how to get along with your spouse better, or confront a friend about something that offended you, without making things worse? We all have family and friends that get on our nerves from time to time, but what do we do when this happens? What many of us find ourselves doing is just trying to overlook the little things that bug us, but I'll be the first to say that this tactic does backfire, often leaving everyone involved a bit worse for wear. Life is tricky; there is no questioning that. What we really need is a bit of humility, even though it does fly in the face of just about everything that comes to us naturally as Americans.

I love being right! The problem is that I'm not always right and it can be hard accepting, never mind admitting it. Now, be honest. How much would you love to hear this from your loved one: "I just have to say, I'm sorry for the way I treated you. I was wrong but I didn't want to admit it. I love you too much to let anger or frustration remain between us. Can you forgive me?" It may not seem like it, but it feels really good to be the one saying it, too.

Since most of us would rather be told when we are doing something offensive or bothersome, why don't we do this for our friends and family? Here's what I am going to challenge myself with: to try and make the lives of those that I care about just a little bit better, even if I have to get my hands a little dirty in the process.

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others". Philippians 2:3-4 NASB

4 comments:

AL said...

Chris,
The feeling of being apologized to is so great, if done correctly and from the heart, the issue at hand usually goes away! How powerful and fulfilling words can be if they come from the heart and with true meaning.

Chris Steele said...

Eliminating selfishness and ego is a hard thing to do, but when it is done it can really heal relationships. I liked that you spoke about forgiveness in this post. Forgiveness is an amazingly healing choice that anyone can make. This post reminded me to stay humble, remain honest, and promote peace... Thank you.

Peter G. said...

It takes alot to admit your own faults. I believe that it is agreat trate to posses. No one is perfect and as soon as we all realize this little fact, life can be so much easier for all of us.

Jamie said...

I think for the most part people have a hard time admitting they did wrong. They rather not own up to it and let ego get in the way of doing the right thing.