Is the Internet Dead?

Recently in the news and through multiple electronic/computer related articles I have heard that the Internet is dying. Whether it’s due to boring content or the lack of new experiences I would have to agree. When the Internet was first born it was new and flashy. I could find information on just about anything I wanted to know. Now when I search for something in even the most powerful search browsers I am overwhelmed with sometimes hundreds of millions of webpages that might possibly contain a few words about my search topic. I pay about $40 a month for broadband internet so that I can search through the same 5 web pages every day. I joke pretty often that I have found the end of the Internet multiple times. I am ready for a change. Like any entertainment platform I think that the Internet needs to evolve, to become more personal. I would love to put in search words and actually get correct information instead of wiki pages.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't believe the internet is dead. I will agree that there is redundant information and you have to weed through an extraordinary amount of garbage to find your pearl but there is good solid information if you are willing to spend time looking for it.

Melissa Davis said...

I have to agree with prankin940, but that could be because I mostly use the internet, for online shopping and to balance my bank statements... I do agree that you many times end up looking at the same sites over and over again, but I also have found loads of useful information I would not have had access to without it. Like anything I think we have to take the good with the bad...

Nat said...

I do not think the internet is dead. As you both mentioned - there is more and more information on the internet which may result in deeper digging for the information you are looking for.

Cortni said...

I would have to agree that the internet is not dead. I believe that it is evolving every day. There is garbage out there but one persons garbage is another person’s treasure.

GrammaRonna said...

I don't know if you could call it dying or if it is just going to change. Nothing ever stays the same so I will expect that it will become more percise. It is a little overwelming when you searh for something and any word you use comes up in the search even if it is not related to the topic. Good Blog

Gary said...

I had never heard anything about the internet dying until reading this blog post. I stepped back and thought about the topic for a few moments and do not relate to any considerations of the internet dying or even slowing down. I think people use the internet so much now that they do not think about it as much. It is like other everyday activities we engage in and do not realize how reliant our society is on the internet now. Believe it or not, the internet is evolving so much that more and more businesses and stores are virtually useless when their internet goes down. As for the notion of searching for something and finding "garbage" and having to weed through it all, I recommend being more specific in your search words and phrases. We have to evolve with the tools we use. There is enough information out there now that simply typing one word in a search tool is too vague unless you want vague results. Good article though, made me stop and think about the internet and how we use it now compared to the past.

Rachel A. said...

It certainly feels as though the internet is dying at times. The internet is a powerful tool and relatively young enough that we're still infatuated with it and letting it evolve into what is most valuable for mankind. I know I am still discovering a healthy balance between the virtual and real world.