Going back to college after years of dealing with Dyslexia

The Struggles:
Today many people including this writer has struggling and dealt with the humiliation from dyslexia. Most of the people as they grow up have learned to deal with it although they still feel anything from stupid to ashamed. It was not easy to grow up with it because most did not know anything about it including me. So going to city run schools back in the 60s and 70s you would be sent to special classes. That alone says something to the other kids. It took me many years to face my problem, as I felt inadequate. I have had many teachers while they had good attention fail to understand what was going and in the end would give up on me. We live in a world that is all about reading and writing. I go to work each day with a real fear that if I have to send a email or write something people will most likely ask question on what I wrote. I know my job and I do it very well. However, if I am unable to relay my information that makes sense to the reader what does one do?



The learning to deal:
Over the years, I have found many things out. I need a degree to excel in my company. Asking others to proof although they will help, they end up changing most of it. That is where I learn to swallow my pride. Most say that they understand, but it does always feel that way. I have lived with this for over 48 years now so, other than a few times a day where you feel inadequate you start to learn how to deal with it. I think it was a blessing that we now have spelling and grammar checks on computers. One also understands that after you write that email or paper you re-read it repeatedly. I myself have re-read this 7 times. Just think if I did not have spell, grammar, and re-reading it repeatedly what this may have said! Therefore, what does it mean, it took me 48 years and determination to understand to face college again.


Universities:
Today more and more students are showing up at universities with dyslexia. It is still patchy at most universities that offer help to the student. Consequently, these students do consistently poor then other undergraduates students (Richardson & Wydell, 2003; Singleton, 1999). It is interesting that the UK has spent more time researching this topic then I would have expected. Not to say US do not have information but it considerable less.

Ref:
Developmental Neuropsychology, Vol 29(1), 2006. Special issue: Special Issue on Writing. pp. 175-196. Contribution of Lower Order Skills to the Written Composition of College Students With and Without Dyslexia. Connelly, Vincent; vconnelly@brookes.ac.uk ;Campbell, Sonya,; MacLean, Morag,; Barnes, Jim, Department of Psychology, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, England



Reading, Writing, and Assistive Technology: An Integrated Developmental Curriculum for College Students; Engstrom, Ellen Urquhart; Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, v49 n1 p30-39 Sep 2005. 10 pp. (Peer Reviewed Journal); http://search.ebscohost.com.dml.regis.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eric&AN=EJ719840&site=ehost-live

No comments: