Working From Home in Cyberspace

“Today work-at-home professionals have a remarkable communications vehicle no matter where they are located. The "information highway" runs through all neighborhoods -- enabling at-home workers to develop business relationships that transcend geographical boundaries.”

Today there are so many avenues to creating and maintaining a business right from your very own home. Years ago it mattered where you were located and how much traffic went by. Today with the internet as your vehicle you can buy and sell all from the convenience of your living room. You can network and build business relationships. This reminds me of eBay and how you can make a fortune by just selling items you no longer use or need. Forget the days of the good old fashioned yard sale now that cyberspace is available. Just remember the challenges of working from home and how multitasking the laundry, kids and dinner as the picture shows could be a challenge.

Cyberspace and Building Business Relationships. Roberts, Lisa M. 1997. Retrieved on June 17, 2008 from: http://www.en-parent.com/Articles/cyberspace.htm

6 comments:

Sean said...

I wish more companies would take advantage of the technology most of us have in our homes and let us work from home a few days a week. Gas prices, greenhouse gases, freeway gridlock; all of these could be reduced by flexible work schedules. Demand for oil would decrease, which in turn would drive prices lower, (unless China grabbed up the remaining supplies.) I've only been at my current company about a year. I've made inquiries as to what the corporate culture is about working from home. It's discouraged most of the time.

Amanda said...

I love being able to work from home. Sometimes I take my laptop home with me from the office and work from home. The internet has provided us all with so much freedom to integrate our home and work life. It is so convenient. When I am sick I do not have the time to miss all of my emails and stay at home. Now, I am able to log on and check my emails from home. The internet allows me to be much more productive.

MeboStaffFinance said...

Although the technology has been here, tons of companies still do not embrace working from home. It’s that old school mentality of if you’re not physically in the office your not working. It is convenient especially balancing work with home life.

Duane said...

I think working from home is a great idea for the people that are able to keep themselves focused and stay on track and get their work done. Last week I had a manager that had to join in a meeting that was scheduled but she had to work from home because her child was sick. We got to spend the entire meeting listening to Dora in the background and every couple minutes we could tell when she had to put us on hold because Dora was suddenly off the speakerphone for a minute and a half. She was not only unproductive in our meeting but emails that had been sent to her that morning had still not been returned that afternoon.

This is a specific example of a person I work with but I think it may be why companies hesitate to let people work from home because they are afraid that it will be to easy for people to get side tracked at home and forget that they are suppose to be working.

Barb said...

I'd love to be able to work from home but my current job won't allow it. I used to do medical transcription from home and it was fairly easy, but these were the days before HIPAA regulations were in place, which would now discourage some from working from home due to the risk of loss of privacy.

Anonymous said...

Working from home definitely does reap the benefits of not having a commute, nor the need to adhere to formal work hours (depending on the nature of the work), and it's likely you don't have to dress the part. The benefits (and challenges)could also be said of those that participate in online college courses.

That we are able to do these two things from home (or while on vacation across a Sea) is a realization of the tremendous benefits the internet and telecommunications have enabled.