Views from a youth director

One this quote and I love it because to me to represents what a large majority of the youth feel about when we talk about being a Christian.
"I realize not every Christian is judgmental or halophytic, but for me,that has been a common experience."
http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/nov/03/a-momentous-shift/
The article talks about how teens feel when we talk about religion. The article explains how and why teens are confused when it comes to this subject. The main reason for this is because of the adults. What I mean is this we are suppose to be an example to them and they hear us say one thing then we turn around and do something completely different.
Now, as must of this class I am a youth director and a dedicated one at that. There is nothing I would do for any of them. This is why I have to be careful of what I say and what I do especially when they are around me. But importantly in my everyday life. Our actions are louder then our words. What we actually do in our lives speak louder then whatever you tell a young person. It just does not affect them, it affects the credibility you have to them when they see you act in a hypocritical or judgmental way.
I loved the example of the person in the church telling a single mom that she was not a good parent. This is such a good example of what actually happens in a church setting and unfortunately it happens a lot. Then the youth see this and think are we suppose to be like this?
The bottom line is this: We may not be the "parent". We have not given birth them or raised them to this point. But we have just as much responsibility to teach them when they come in our lives. Several times people have asked "Why don't you have any children?" My answer is for one I am not married and this shows the youth what is actually important. Then I turn around look at my youth and turn back look at the person and tell actually I do and they are right behind me. They may not live with me but they do look up to they know I am there.
Several years ago, I had a 16 year old girl in my group who came up to me ask me if she could call me dad. I told I did not really care but I asked her why. She said that her father has not been in her life since she was born and she has never know what it meant what is was to have a father like figure in her life until last year and she came to the church. When she first started coming she was barely passing in school and was doing drugs and other things. Within one year she improved her grades she no longer smokes and she is about to graduate with honors.
Folks, the impact we make we made never actually see but I can promise you we do make an impact. With divorce rate up and everything in this world that is just a mess. It may not be fun and it may not seem rewarding but for me every time I see one of them graduate that is where the reward is!

No comments: