"America Discovers New Ways to Communicate"

The first commercial email was done back in the early sixties. Ray Tomlinson of ARPANET was the engineer whom created the first email without a subject line. These emails had to be opened in the order they were received in. As the years went on, many businesses, universities, and government agencies slowly built networks that were capable of communicating between themselves so personnel could email each other and communicate without leaving their offices and using the telephone everytime they needed information that was important for their job position. With the creation of these networks, it created new technology that allowed computers to talk to one another, for instance, TCP/IP brought smaller networks together which many universities used to communicate with government agencies. In the early nineties, this brought the startup of Internet Service Providers like MSN, Yahoo, and Mozilla which offered email applications as part of their package deal if you registered as a member to their website. Now email is the most widely used application that users use today. The Pew Research center did a survey and found out the 50 million adult americans had used some form of email to communicate with family, friends, and business associates. Another survey was conducted in December 2003, and 95% of women said that there were more likely to log onto a computer and check their email compared to only 90% of males. I think those numbers maybe inflated now because of the SPAM that people keep receiving from unknown people that they do not know, which takes away the fun of checking important emails from family, friends, and work related matters.

"America Discovers New Ways to Communicate" Electronic America. John W.Weier. Information Plus reference series Detroit:Gale, 2007. p.15-27

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the idea of SPAM disrupting growth in e-mail usage. Everyone in my family, all of my coworkers and all my friends rely heavily on the use of e-mail for all sorts of communication be it work related, personal matters or just to say "hello". Receiving SPAM is nothing that cannot be resolved with a simple click on the "delete" button - which in no way disrupts my use of e-mail.

Anonymous said...

i think it is very unique the comparison of 95% female users to 90% male users. i didn't think this would be the case but with the feminist revolution of the 60's and 70's i could see why more women would post. not that this is a bad thing just that it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

I think more women use their email because women seem to stay in closer contact with their friends and need to share more information with each other then men. That stat that women use email more often than men makes sense to me. Plus sharing family photos and sharing family updates falls on the shoulders of the women in the household more often then the men.

MOrtiz said...

I also disagree since I use the internet for everything. At my work place internet is everything for us. I delete my SPAM out of my email and be done with it. So, I agree its just a matter of the delete botton.

Anonymous said...

I would have to said that SPAM is a big problem in the email world today, but I have seen a decrease of the of SPAM - I have to also disagree SPAM is not the problem, when you can just hit the delete button.
Terry Emerson

Anonymous said...

“’We identified a set of market segments that require the strengths and expertise that our company has to offer’ is a wordy quote that should have been paraphrased to say, ‘The company identified industries that need its services.’”
Okay, so you see what is up above, but what does this mean. Well, I found a quote which gave us the best of our forum post. What this article is on is teaching people who are business professionals how to write better. More specifically, this part tells how to make quotes stronger. The whole article combined our looking for things which are related to our topic, (mine is new ways we communicate) and provide a tip on better searching for things. This article also shows how you can improve on things, such as strong leads, vocabulary, and even research. I am probably going to use it to check over my work before I post to make sure I am stating what I meant
The other thing I enjoyed is that I found a lot of good articles on different forms of useful communication. Although they would have been nice to use, this just fit in, due to the fact that it had a quote and worked with the requirements. And, it provided tips to improve. I hope you guys like this. I know I did, when I found it.
Professor Colvin, would you like me to include some of the articles I found?
I used the communication database on the Regis libraries site to take me to Academic OneFile. From there, I used the basic search, and typed in communication articles with quotes. It is under the title writing you never master the craft. I had fun doing this. Here is the article source.

References
O’Quinn, Ken. “Writing: You never master the craft.” Communication World 15.9 (Oct-Nov
1998): 32. Academic OneFile. Gale. BCR Regis University. 3 Apr. 2008 http://find.galegroup.com.dml.regis.edu/itx/start.do?prodId=AONE