Relax. They're Just Words :)

This, like most of you, is my first time actually blogging. On the other hand, I have read a few blogs along with the comments that follow. Because of a simple misunderstanding, these comments can become extremely intense. Without facial expressions or voice inflections words can easily be misinterpreted. The article ‘Lower the Temperature When Blogging Turns Heated’ briefly gives suggestions on how to steer clear of nasty fights with words.

Sometimes it is obvious that there is no logic behind what people write. They post it just to be nasty. Responding to these types of posts only gives them fuel to continue. Rather than retaliating simply ignore it. Keeping silent, however, is not always the correct response. In some cases you do have to respond so that you do not leave a bad impression. A war of words can become civilized “if approached with wit and a spirit of fair play" (Goldsborough, 2007). The argument becomes a game when the responses are not diminished to personal attacks. The following is a list of a few suggestions the author has to keep the game interesting:

Bring research & logic to arguments
Look for inconsistencies in opponents arguments
Concede when necessary
Praise opponent for impressive tactics
Regard it all with amused detachment

The web address for the Blogger's Code of Conduct (http://blogging.wikia.com/wiki/Blogging_Wikia) created by Tim O'Reilly was given. Here you can add what you think is missing or make changes to the current Blogger's Code of Conduct entries.

Goldsborough, R. (2007, September 10). Community College Week. Lower the Temperature When Blogging Turns Heated. 20(2). 15.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Excellent blog Joann, with tips and a link to better assist the potential blogger. In fact, I wish I found this article before beginning the blog posting assignment. I can see where I may have benefitted from this information.

Nice Job.

Yvonne

Speed Phreak said...

Words are a nasty tool sometimes. Good on ya for pointing out some good road signs. I just realized I used good twice in the last sentence. Words i guess can be used to uplift as well, huh?

Cheers,

Jake

Nicole N. said...

Joann,

I loved your post. Short and sweet, yet it accurately gets the point across. I can't count how many times I written something that gets totally misconstrued in an email. I think that's why I use emoticons so much....

Nicole