Peer Feedback in Online classes, are we qualified?

This article debates whether peer feedback in online classes is a quality based instructional tool. Many of the test subjects felt that they needed to make sure their answers were clear enough for the other classmates to understand. This meant that they had to research the topic more and really know the subject before posting.

On the other hand some of the test subjects felt that the feedback was shallow and superficial. In these cases, people felt that the feedback was only given because it was required and it held no substance or credibility. They felt that any instruction should come from the facilitator, the person responsible for instructing the entire class.

I believe that peer feedback is totally acceptable and welcome as the comments are well intentioned and can spur good discussion. I also believe that getting many insights from people with different experiences can only help others grow scholastically and personally.



Using Peer Feedback to Enhance the Quality of Student Online Postings: An Exploratory Study

Ertmer, P. A, Richardson, J. C., Belland, B., Camin, D., Connolly, P., Coulthard, G., et al. (2007). Using peer feedback to enhance the quality of student online postings: An exploratory study. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 12(2), article 4. http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol12/issue2/ertmer.html


Viki

5 comments:

Alan said...

While I understand the concern that some students have about the requirement for feedback, they must also understand that these comments would most likely have happened if they were in a traditional classroom. Some comments could be meaningless in either case, but the idea that we can share our experiences, learn from them, and open our minds to new ideas is what the process is about. In most traditional classes I have attended the facilitator only monitors these conversations to ensure that students remain focused on the subject matter, commenting when necessary. The same is done on-line. Just seems like some of these folks only want to do what is required, and really don't want to take away anything from the class, other than what they themselves have put into them.

Alan

Chance said...

Viki,

You found an interesting article as I have sometimes wondered how beneficial peer feedback can be within an online class. I think that our learning experience is enhanced with the differing perspectives coming from all of the students. We do have to be aware, in certain situations, that information being provided by our peers may not be completely accurate. We really have to rely on the involvement of the instructor to correct any inaccuracies posted to the discussions. I haven’t had the opportunity to take an online course covering subject matter that is easily determined to be right or wrong such as a mathematics class. I would be curious to know how these types of courses manage the peer feedback aspect of online learning. Thanks for sharing this article with the class! I’m not sure if my html commands will work but if they do, sorry for the bold, italicized, and underlined text. I know they don’t necessarily belong where I tried to place them!

Ok, it doesn't appear that the underline tag will work. (I received an error message that it is not allowed!) Let me try this again...

Chance

Joann said...

Posting a response to a fellow classmates post is something that I had a very difficult time doing when I first started online classes. At that time my idea of a response was to critique the post. I felt very uncomfortable thinking that was what I was supposed to do. It wasn't until I asked the course instructor what she was looking for in a response did I know that my response could be as simple as a few words of encouragement.

Chelsea said...

I think that feedback for online classes is great! I know that I always read back through what I have written to make sure that it is easy-to-read and make it sound like I knew/know what I'm talking about.

Chelsea said...

I think that feedback for online classes is great! I know that I always read back through what I have written to make sure that it is easy-to-read and make it sound like I knew/know what I'm talking about.